Distribution – Reaching a Global Audience

The market for Audiobooks is growing (40% year over year as of 2017). And, it’s overlap with the exploding podcast market, means there are more potential listeners than ever before. Getting your work in front of potential listeners is key to a successful project.

Some places that call themselves audiobook publishers don’t actually have their own contracts with distributors. They simply resell Audible’s ACX platform and are limited in…

  • what they can produce
    (only books published as ebooks in Amazon)
  • who they can produce
    (payees must be US, CA, UK, or IE residents)
  • where the work can be distributed
    (detailed below)

In many cases, vendors like these will avoid a detailed explanation of their royalty arrangement. It stands to reason that if they are getting a smaller percentage of the sale, your royalty is smaller too. To really understand the financials, you need to know the royalty’s relationship to the actual sale price.

In all cases, we can match or beat rates offered by anyone using ACX for distribution. And because we have our own distribution agreements in place, we are not limited in the kinds of content that we can distribute.

We have distribution packages designed to help you meet your goals.

Standard Distribution: Audible, iTunes, and Amazon

(compare to ACX exclusive distribution)

via ACX

  • The distributor keeps 60% of the sale and passes the other 40% along as a royalty.
  • On a per finished hour deal, the Content Owner keeps that 40%.
  • On a royalty share, the Content Owner and the Narrator split that, each receiving 20%.

via Spoken Realms

  • The distributor keeps 50%, Spoken Realms keeps 10% and distributes 40% in royalties. So, Spoken Realms makes its money from Audible, not the Content Owner!
  • Contracts are done per book. The rights are retained by the Content Owner and/or the Narrator.
  • Also, Spoken Realms can handle multiple narrators for a royalty share, co-authors, or other unique splits of royalties. ACX cannot.

Extended Distribution: Audible, iTunes, Amazon, and beyond

(compare to ACX non-exclusive distribution)

via ACX

  • The distributor keeps 75% and passes the other 25% along as a royalty.
  • Per Finished Hour deals only.
  • ACX offers no help pressing actual CDs.
  • ACX offers no assistance at all getting into any other markets.

via Spoken Realms

Digital Downloads (an average for all platforms except Downpour.com)

  • The distributor receives between $4-$6 per sale and pays out 40% (approximately $2)
  • Spoken Realms retains 25% (approximately $0.50) and distributes 75% in royalties (approximately $1.50 per sale)

Downpour Digital Downloads

  • The distributor receives approximately 30% off cover price and pays out 40%
  • Spoken Realms retains 25% and distributes 75%
  • Since the initial payout is higher, so is the final distribution

Library Sales (Digital and CDs)

  • Library CDs sell at a higher price point than standard retail and vary by length of the final product
  • Spoken Realms retains 25% and distributes 75%
  • Since the initial payout is higher, so is the final distribution
  • After 6 months, a title is eligible for Digital Distribution at $0.40 per listen, 75% ($0.30) paid to the content owner

Physical CDs

  • The content owner can purchase CDs at 50% off the cover price on net-30-day terms
  • For physical CDs purchased by vendors through the Blackstone catalog, the distributor receives approximately 40% after production costs, Spoken Realms retains 5%, and distributes 15% in royalties

We get the content into online and physical distribution chains for you including (but not limited to) Audible, iTunes, Amazon, Audiobooks.com, Barnes & Noble, Scribd, Downpour, Findaway, Hoopla, OverDrive, Reado.com, Audiobookstore.com, Playster, Baker & Taylor, Audiobooks.net, Nook, eMusic, LeapFrog, Costco, Hastings, Books-A-Million, and TuneIn. These venues can choose to stock either digital or physical copies of your title.

The content owner also has the right to sell both digital and physical copies directly without Spoken Realms. The agreement is non-exclusive and does not preclude any other methods or venues. For these sales, the content owner keeps 100% of the profit.

For all content

  • Per Finished Hour, Royalty Share, and Hybrid deals of any configuration are all allowed.
  • CDs are available to the Content Owner at 50% off. Short runs of nearly any size are available.
  • Contracts are done per book. The rights are retained by the Content Owner and/or the Narrator.

Custom Distribution

Looking to avoid DRM? Have a special need not addressed here?

Contact us. We will work with you to develop a custom package that fits your needs.